Friday 1 September 2023

Time has passed...

Someone posted a comment: Their brother died and was buried in one of the graves pictured in this blog, in Bhopal. If you're reading this, I'm sorry for your loss. 

I haven't posted anything on this blog for years! In fact, I'd almost forgotten about it. Mostly I write on my "Living with Loss" blog which you can find at avalleyjournal.co.uk  

It's been almost 6 years since I wrote anything here. 2017 feels a lifetime away. In many respects, it is.

I had kidney cancer in 2015. In 2016 I started the "Living with Loss" project. Since then it's been non-stop. I've run - how many retreats? Perhaps 30 or 40?  I've met hundreds of people and have been able to walk beside them in their grief. I also have a few people working with me now. Small beginnings have led to something quite established. It wouldn't have happened without Bhopal!  

I do all of this in honour and memory of my children Pax and Catherine, of course.

Last week I was interviewed for a short film on grief. Not my first filming experience of the year! I was on BBC TV in January!

I told the film crew ever so briefly about Bhopal and said if they ever got funding, it would be a great trip to revisit on film. Anyway... 

In 2020 the pandemic sent our world spinning, or rather stationary in some respects. 

Dear Father Arul, who had helped us so much with creating the memorial site for Pax, sadly died from Covid-19. A man who gave his life to help the poor people he lived amongst sadly was taken too soon. 

In 2021 my second brother died from pancreatic cancer. That happened very quickly. I'm glad I got to see him before he passed. 

The only member of my immediate family who is still living is my sister, but she is in New Zealand and I haven't seen her since 1973. 

My husband John got diagnosed with bowel cancer one year ago, precisely. Happily, he is still with us, and his treatment has been successful. 

I became a pensioner! But I haven't retired. I seem to be getting busier every year. I hope next year to slow things down. 

I still miss my children. I always will. 

On a Welsh mountain this spring. I do love green spaces.

    

1 comment:

  1. Yes it’s me Gayatri. I read about your blog and I hadn’t realised that you’d responded to me. I found Pax’s grave. It’s fine. I can only imagine how you feel. I am trying to find a way of attaching the photo and I’ll take some more tomorrow for you.

    ReplyDelete